hamburg style






Although the 4th of July is the US's independence, it has widely become an international celebration. I was away in the beach this weekend, where many Americans live near the coast, and the fireworks celebration was greatly anticipated by many. My family is purely Costa Rican (if any, we have some Spanish ancestors from my dad's side of the family), so the 4th of July is just like any other day in the calendar. However, as I have a profound esteem to the US and having lived there for nearly 4 years, I decided to have an unusual dedication to today in my blog.
Hamburgers are known to be a popular food for 'Americans', so I rushed into some quick research. It turns out that the word hamburger comes from the German port of Hamburg. It began in the 17th century, when Russian ships arrived at Hamburg and introduced the steak tartare, which later became known as 'hamburg steak'...and was quickly introduced to the European and New York scenery. In an attempt to attract German (and European) sailors, New Yorkers offered steaks cooked in Hamburg style along the city harbor. The first documented hamburger appeared in the menu of Delmonico's Restaurant in New York in 1826.
All in all...there's always room to learn something new! I wanted to give this brief introduction because I recently discovered the packaging for LT Burger (coincidentally located in New York) done by catchtwentyfour and there's something about that box that makes me want to rush out for a thick Angus burger! Wood type was used for the designs...all in all, an attempt (and to my opinion a glorious success) to bring out the chic of the not-so flattering art of eating a hamburger!